This years Art Unlimited
features 62 projects. The artists showing at this exhibition of ambitious contemporary art represent a cross-section of leading figures from the international art scene, with works by artists of five different decades. Many pieces have been created especially for Art Unlimited.
In the 17,000-square-meter exhibition hall, Art Unlimited offers artists and galleries a platform for works that exceed the possibilities of the conventional gallery booth, showcasing outsize sculptures, video projections, installations, wall paintings, photographic series, and performance art.
Since its launch in 2000, many of the worlds leading contemporary artists have exhibited in the Art Unlimited sector, which is generously supported by UBS. The design of this year's exhibition, drawn exclusively from proposals by the show's gallerists, has once again been devised by the Geneva curator Simon Lamunière.
This year, works by long-established artists - such as Carl Andre, John Baldessari, Daniel Buren, Hans-Peter Feldmann, Dan Flavin, Mona Hatoum, Anish Kapoor, Robert Rauschenberg, Thomas Schütte, Rirkrit Tiravanija and Cerith Wyn Evans - are joined by pieces from younger and emerging stars such as Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla, Gardar Eide Einarsson, Jacob Kassay, Robert Kusmirowski, Mark Leckey and Sarah Morris.
Projects by the following artists have been chosen by the Art Basel Selection Committee:
- Jennifer Allora and Guillermo Calzadilla, Galerie Chantal Crousel, Paris
- Christian Andersson, Galerie Nordenhake, Berlin; von Bartha, Basel;
- Cristina Guerra Contemporary Art, Lisboa
- Carl Andre, Alfonso Artiaco, Napoli
- Michel Auder, Aurel Scheibler/ScheiblerMitte, Berlin
- John Baldessari, Mai 36 Galerie, Zürich; Marian Goodman Gallery, New York
- Lewis Baltz, Galerie Thomas Zander, Köln
- Mohamed Bourouissa, kamel mennour, Paris
- Matthew Buckingham, Murray Guy, New York; Konrad Fischer Galerie, Düsseldorf
- Daniel Buren, Galleria Continua, San Gimignano
- Waltercio Caldas, Galería Elvira González, Madrid
- Ernst Caramelle, Galerie nächst St. Stephan, Rosemarie Schwarzwälder, Wien;
- Mai 36 Galerie, Zürich; Galerie Nelson-Freeman, Paris
- Etienne Chambaud, Sies + Höke, Düsseldorf
- Minerva Cuevas, kurimanzutto, México D.F.
- Jonas Dahlberg, Galerie Nordenhake, Berlin
- Gardar Eide Einarsson, Team Gallery, New York; Nils Staerk, Copenhagen
- Hans-Peter Feldmann, 303 Gallery, New York
- Dan Flavin, Paula Cooper Gallery, New York
** Not all artists were mentioned